Friday, May 28, 2010

Would you like to buy a shower?

T, our trainer for 2 weeks in the antiquated reservation computer system and the ins and outs of YNP, warned us that there would come a time when tourists would somehow recognize that "we belong here" and ask us for information, even when we are incognito in T-shirts and hiking gear. I think there is something about working at the front desk that accelerates this phenomenon. We seem to be the all knowing venue for information, although I would contest that the Park Rangers are far superior in their all knowingness. Perhaps they don't know the details about the cabins and rooms at the hotel, but they do have a brochure at the Visitor's Center (VC, for all you native YNPers).

So, I am now in the position that I am easily recognized as an inhabitant instead of just a visitor. It's happened to me twice this week. First, I was crossing the street from the post office back to the dorm and ran across two gentlemen looking at our dorm, seemingly confused. "Is that Fort Yellowstone?" they asked. Our dorm is a bit shabby looking, but it is definitely in a 1960's style of construction, so I got them turned around facing the other direction and pointed out the real Fort Yellowstone. In my best travel agent persona, I explained about the self-guided walk, including brochure for 50 cents, and sent them on their tour. Warranted, there was no-one else around them as they were in the middle of the road, so I guess in this instance, I seemed a likely character to ask for directions.

However, this morning, there were plenty of people around when a car pulled up alongside me and a woman, looking like she really wanted to wash her hair, asked if there were public showers. For those of you not in the know, yes, you can actually buy a shower, which we sell at the front desk of the hotel. In case you're wondering, it's usually pretty easy to tell who wants to buy a shower vs people who are checking into the hotel. I pointed out the door to go in and she drove off to find a parking space. Of all the people walking back from breakfast, how in the world did this lady pick the one person who actually works at the hotel and knew exactly what she was looking for? I seem to be the cash magnet at work, although C. has surpassed my one-day high intake, so I'll have to let them know that I sold a shower even while I wasn't at work.

I seem to be verbose today, but it's time to go to my evening shift (2:30 - 10:30 PM), so I will leave you with some words from the Julie/Julia Project, which I have just begun to read:
"When you're crazy, old and worn out, you're just crazy, old and worn out."

2 comments:

  1. ah, yes, I "bought a shower" there many years ago after about four days camping. Truly wonderful! Worth every cent!! I'm sure my family thought so, too, as the van was pretty crowded with all of us and all our gear.

    Reminds me when I lived in Rockaway Beach and as I was walking down Hwy 101, a tourist asked me where the ocean was....

    Neal Lemery

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just watched the film 2012 last night, a portion of which takes place in Yellowstone. Thought I should warn you of possible catastrophe. Truly, there is nothing like a nice, hot shower when you've been without for too long. I have showered in that very place, actually.

    ReplyDelete