Saturday, March 6, 2010

More on the cat

"Just thought I would update you on Larkin. He figured out the day after you left how to get out and in the kitty door by himself. He and Tazz have gotten about 6 inches apart and stared at each other without hitting, just the usual growls. Since he doesn't have the under bed as refuge, he is trying to find other safe areas, which has been interesting. Monday I heard him meow in the bedroom but couldn't find him after a search. I finally found him in the closet, on the yoga mats on a shelf. I guess he didn't like that place because he now has a new one, behind the printer under my desk on a shelf. I moved out some of the stuff so he wouldn't keep kicking off my router and modem, and it looks like he's set. I think he likes it because he's close to me when I'm on the computer and it's warm with all the electronics running. I noticed that they have a routine down in the morning. We open our bedroom door, Tazz comes in and Larkin follows for some pets. I feed Tazz wet food, which he eats half and leaves. Larkin comes over and licks/ eats about half of that and then Tazz comes back and finishes what's left. They are still doing their hissy fits if they surprise each other coming around a corner, but it's mostly gone away."

Courtesy of Dan, who's watching Larkin while we're in Yellowstone.



Am I surprised? No. Larkin is quite possibly the most laid-back cat I've ever known. He's pretty relaxed about Nearly everything, so I wasn't expecting this change of homes to be too traumatic for him.



There's actually a bit of a lesson to be learned from dear Larkin. I once had 2 cats - Larkin plus his brother, Julie. Larkin was always the cool cat - calm under most circumstances, always ready to receive pets, and just an all around laid back guy. Julie, on the other hand, was pretty neurotic. Alex blames it on his having to live with a girls name, but I recently found out that Larkin is also a girls name. Julie would get stressed out by just about anything - the dog, a loud noise, the husband. Alex used to like to tease him just to get him going. Larkin, when rubbed the wrong way, might meow, but then he'd start purring, turn around, and come back for more. Julie got sick and died a couple of years ago. Larkin, on the other hand, is about to celebrate his 17th birthday and is still doing well and is still content. So, the moral of the story: Relax, appreciate the attention that you get, and live a long and happy life.

(This post was delayed due to running out of time on the library computer.)

No comments:

Post a Comment