Friday, September 3, 2010

Phew, I made it

I survived my 1st day by myself as a barista. The day started uneventfully enough. We're supposed to arrive at work at 5:45 AM (yes, I'm going to become a morning person!), but I decided to show up at 5:30 just to make sure I had enough time to get everything ready, especially since this is the first time I've set up the barista stand by myself. I got my first two requests for coffee before 6 AM ("Sorry, we're not open until 6:30." -Don't get between someone and their coffee, Tom says.) By the time I sat down to eat breakfast at 6:10, I was already running a little short on time, but I had a quick breakfast and headed over to the hotel lobby with my last 2 carafes of coffee, finished setup, and was ready by 6:30.
A couple of minutes later, I served my first few cups of coffee. Suddenly, within a half an hour, there was a line that lasted until 9:45. Phew, I can start my cleanup and be ready to close up right on time in 15 minutes. I had just enough time to dump the sink reservoir (we have water running to the barista stand, but no waste line running from it), when Jenn from the gift shop took the opportunity to finally get her latte. "You've had a line all morning." Just as she was leaving, a foreign gentleman showed up, and the next thing I knew, I had a line again. I was just wrapping up my very last latte at 10:20 when 2 preteen girls showed up for hot chocolates. "I'm just closing," I explained to their father. "But it's her birthday and I promised her hot chocolate for her birthday." I'm seriously doubting it was anyone's birthday, but I made the hot chocolates anyway. The girls paid for the drinks, so I didn't even get a tip!
I would like to say the morning went without mishap, but there were a couple. First, there were the women that were mad that there weren't any coffee makers in the rooms. "Unfortunately, the wiring in the buildings are too old to accommodate coffee makers in all of the rooms," I countered. Well, apparently other hotels in the park have free coffee for their guests in the lobbies. I have no control over that decision, so I didn't have any other comments. One lesson I learned is to go get another caraff of coffee from the kitchen across the street when I'm down to the last one, even if there is a line. I ran out midway through an Eastern European man's second large coffee, so I charged him for the full cup and gave him the other one for free. He walked away muttering in his native tongue, apparently never understanding that he only paid for the full cup of coffee. The biggest snafu, however, was after I made two beautiful large vanilla mochas. I turned back to the espresso machine to make the next latte to find two full shots of espresso sitting on it. Oops. It was too late, the guests had disappeared, but I kept hoping they would come back when they realized the caffeine had never kicked in.
To all of you, I wish a beautiful latte, with foam and milk mixed until it looks like marshmallow fluff, and a hot shot of espresso, pressed just right to bring out the flavor and the creme.

2 comments:

  1. Amy, I just caught up on your blogs and realized you are the same age as my son. I had thought you and I were close to the same age. Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha! Or, LOL, in text. Happy Barista-ing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, that is one of my favorite things in life - a perfectly made latte :). I'm not actually sure if I've had one, of course, but I know a few have come close.

    Have a great Labor Day weekend :).

    ReplyDelete